Wednesday, November 6, 2013

I found a gem!

     I know I haven't blogged in a while, but I had to blog about this.  Last week, my husband told me he wanted to check underneath the carpet in our bedroom to see if there was any original hardwood flooring.  I was pretty skeptical.  I mean, why would they cover it up if it was there??
     Then today while sitting at work, my curiosity got the better of me; I texted my husband and told him we'll pull back the carpet when I get home.  This got me excited, and I couldn't wait for 2:00 to get there.
     And lo, and behold!!!  There ARE hardwoods underneath that carpet!  I couldn't (and could) believe it!!!  Our house was built in 1910, after all.  I can't believe it took us almost 5 years to even THINK they could be there and take a peek.  I don't know why the thought never occurred to me.   
     Well... can't dwell on that fact.  Now we know they're there, and we will be pulling up that carpet and exposing the wood strip flooring.  Of course, I want to do it ASAP!  Like, this weekend lol.  But my husband most likely won't want to since he has to help his brother.  And Sunday is the Packers game, so he'll be busy during prime hours, hahahaha!  But there is no rush; so maybe in the Spring.


      What little of it we can see, it looks to be in good condition.  Naturally, there will be holes from the tack strip and also where the pad is stapled.  I just love that warm, golden color!  I don't see much figure pattern (commonly mistaken as the grain), so I don't think it's oak.  But I can't say for sure since I'm not seeing a whole lot.  I just hope the rest of the floor looks this good!  If we can get away with not having to refinish it, I'll be a happy girl!!
     After finding this gem of a discovery, I was ecstatic!!!  Excitedly, I told my husband that we had to check our upstairs bedrooms!  But I was even more skeptical since I had thought most of the time that original hardwood is found only on the main level.  Apparently, I was wrong.  And in this case, I have no trouble admitting I'm wrong! :)

 


     The hardwoods we found upstairs are a darker stain, and I can't tell what species it is.  Obviously this looks to be in much poorer condition.  After doing some research, I'm telling myself that the black "muck" is old decomposing black rubber carpet pad.  I just hope it cleans up easily.  I will try using denatured alcohol or Resolve carpet cleaner.  I'll just have to be extra careful because I don't want to ruin the wood with too much wet liquid  (because wood and water DON'T mix!  It leads to cupping and bowing).  Fingers crossed, the black mess will be few and far between.  And hopefully we won't have to re-hang our baseboards.....
     This should be a very exhilarating project!  Should this happen sooner-rather-than-later, I'll post pictures.



No comments:

Post a Comment