Friday, March 8, 2013

Sew Amazing

I've inherited my mother's sewing machine, and I've been trying to find small (and easy!) projects so I can hone my skills.  So far I've made wristlet key fobs and coffee coozies.

This is the Kenmore Ultra-Stitch 8 & more than 35 years old




 These are just 1.25" heavy duty cotton webbing, 1" wide fabric or ribbon, and 1.25" key fob hardware.






I took a cardboard coozie from a coffee shop to use as a template and traced it onto a rectangular piece of interfacing.  I stacked 2 pieces of interfacing and stitched them down the center so they'd stay in place together.  After cutting out the shape on the interfacing I laid it down on a scrap piece of fabric incorrect side up (in this case leopard!).  Using an iron I made heat-set creases/flaps by fold the fabric over the edge to create the curved shape over the interfacing.  Working 1 side at a time I stitched it down.  For me, each took about 30-45 minutes.  The ends are over-lapped and hand-stitched.  I didn't allow myself enough of a seam allowance on the first one, and I kept losing my bottom threading.



1 comment:

  1. I'd like to put in an order for a summer dress please!

    ReplyDelete